So I feel the need to tell you I am not a huge corn dog fan, but while we were on vacation we ate several different types of corn dogs and they were all so amazing! We had big "state fair type" corn dogs, and my new favorite, hot dogs wrapped in pretzel breading. AMAZING!! Since vacation is over our life has returned back to boring but I am finding myself still craving all the amazing hot dogs that we ate. So in desperation I went to a favorite recipe site of mine allrecipes.com and found a really yummy recipe for corn dogs here.
The recipe is really much easier then I thought it would be.
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1 quart vegetable oil for frying
- 2 (16 ounce) packages beef frankfurters
- 16 wooden skewers
- In a medium bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, salt, pepper, sugar and baking powder. Stir in eggs and milk.
- Preheat oil in a deep saucepan over medium heat. Insert wooden skewers into frankfurters. Roll frankfurters in batter until well coated.
- Fry 2 or 3 corn dogs at a time until lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
I did find that the batter was just a touch too thick (see the bumpy breading in the picture) so I added just 2TBS milk and the breading was perfect and the breading came out nice and smooth out of the fryer. I also used the cheapo hot dogs but I bet if you used the better quality hot dogs (yes there is such a thing as a good quality hot dog) these would be even better.
Give it a try and let me know what you think!