I love my craft room. It is my space where I spend a lot of my time creating my projects and going over my tutorials.
Awhile ago I posted about My Craft Room because I was doing some major cleaning and organizing.
It was better, but it still seemed cluttered and didn't have a lot of space.I had been eying this table from IkeaHackers.net for a very long time. I pinned it and would drool and dream about it every time I came across it.
Over Christmas break my husband was asking me what I wanted for my Birthday (December 30th) and for whatever reason I remembered this table and showed it to him. Later that day we ended up at Ikea and before I knew it 3 Expedit boxes were on our cart. Yay!
What you will need for this project is:
- 3 Expedit Ikea bookcases
- Oak Board
- Polyurethane (sealer)
The shelves are really the easy part, they are pretty easy to put together. That is one of the things I love about Ikea is they make their assembly simple.
After the shelves were all built we did some measuring so we would know exactly how big we wanted the top to be.
We decided on 32 x 72 inches. That made the top just a little bit bigger so there would be a touch of an over hang and then we wouldn't have to worry about being perfect.
We went to Lowe's to pick out the board and decided on Oak. Vern was very helpful and even cut the board to the size that we needed. I love that they do that!
And we picked out our Stain and Polyurethane Sealer
When we got home we laid the board on top of the Expedit units and started by sanding the piece of wood. It was a good piece of wood so it didn't need a lot. Then we applied 2 coats of stain and 2 coats of sealer. The hardest part was waiting for it to dry between each coat. I was so excited for my table that I wanted it to be done!
When the table top was FINALLY dry we started putting it all together. My husband got a drill and impact driver set for Christmas and was very excited to put it to use!
We used 2 flat brackets to secure the 2 Expedit units to each other and used 4 L brackets to secure the top to the units.
The top was pretty secure but we wanted to make sure that it wouldn't move at all so we took 4, 2 1/2 screws and screwed up through the top of the shelf into the bottom of the table in the 4 corners to make it good and secure. (Sorry, I am a slacker and didn't take any pictures of this step)
YAY! My table is finished!
I love all of the storage! It allowed me to remove the big paper rack I had before that was taking up so much room.
And now my room doesn't feel cluttered at all and I can even walk all the way around my table. I love it!